Thursday, May 19, 2011

A Letter To My Teenage Daughter


Dear Daughter of Mine,

The day you were born was the happiest day of my life... and every day since I have loved you more and more.... I really get a kick out of your laughter.. your quick wit... your loving heart to the less fortunate... Sometimes - I free that you may care "too" much at times... You want to save the world.. You want to take care of every needy person you encounter... You see others pain and you want to make it better... I admire that about you... But you become so very sad when you as a child don't have the resources to make a change today... Be patient sweetheart - Your time will come... I have no doubt that you will make a difference in this world.... The world is already a better place with you in it...

We are now in the middle of your "teenage" years.. I do have to say that you are a good kid with a big heart .. I know you have a difficult time understanding why I won't allow you more freedom. The freedom to date... The freedom to stay up real real late... The freedom to do what you want to do when you want to do it... The freedom to not ask permission... I also know that you believe me to be outdated.. Not aware of the world... How do I know this? I know this because I was once You..... You are so much like I was as a teen - it is pretty scary... Grandma - once told me that she wished I would have child just like me... and Grandma's wish was answered... You might be surprised by this... But I do "get" you.... I do understand you... And you may not believe this right now but I only want the Best Possible Life You Can Possibly Live. I want you to have it all!

I know you are in a hurry to grow up and as your mom - I have to help you stay on a steady pace.... There is so much for you to learn... to love.. to experience... When you rush to the finish line there are so many things that you can miss.. and I want you to experience all the joys your age can give you... So my sweet baby girl - breathe in.... Breathe out... Please trust that I do know what is best for you... I have no intention of holding you back when you are truly ready to fly....

11 comments:

  1. What a sweet letter! Will your daughter read this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought my parents were strict when I was a teen. I had friends I envied because their parents gave them freedom to do whatever they wanted. Those friends ended up pregnant and not even making it to college...while I went on to get my bachelor's degree. I also have noticed that the sense of responsibility they instilled in me at that age sticks with me today and, compared to some people around me, I am much more reliable and motivated... I really do think it makes a HUGE difference in the adult you become.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An Irish Italian Blessing - Yes, she will.
    Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet letter. I so remember writing letters like that to my daughter. Wish I had saved them. Well then again, we can't save everything (o:

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right in the middle of the pick your battles years. Some are worth fighting, and some just won't matter. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very sweet letter. My parents were strict, a little too much at times- I kind of felt like I was being punished all the time, even though I was a good kid, but I do appreciate now how much it saved me from trouble and heart ache. We are being pretty strict with our kids also, but I am trying to temper it with open dialog, honesty and a bit more trust.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have written letters to my kids in journals over their lifetime. I started when I was pregnant with each of them. I love your letter! And thanks for visiting my blog http://lifejustsaying.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a sweet letter. New follower! Thanks for stopping by from the Blog Hop. Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so love this idea...i am going to write my kids letters too!! Thanks for posting! I am a new follower via Tues hop...happy to meet you! I have a money saving blog over at:
    http://joannasavesmoney.blogspot.com/

    On my family blog, I JUST posted about becoming MY Mom @ http://thesullivanspace.blogspot.com/2011/05/rewind-time.html

    We have alot in common! Would love you to follow me too! HAve a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WhaT a beautiful letter...she's sure lucky to have you :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I noticed on your blog that you are a mother of a teenager and that you do your best to instill some great values and morals in her. I imagine that many of your followers are similar as well. I know you don’t normally do book reviews on your blog, but I wanted to see if you’d be interested in either posting something about or reviewing a free copy of my newly released young adult urban fantasy Shadow Eyes. It has so many helpful and even life-changing lessons and morals for teens as well as adults. Although there is some content that I would rate PG-13, the morals and lessons the reader learns as the main character learns them are hard to miss. It’s about a girl who sees shadows and light figures (demons and angels). Let me know if you're interested or if you want more information about it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin