Monday, May 18, 2009

Trusting God With My Child


My daughter is going on her first missions trip tomorrow to work in a homeless family shelter .. I think it is great for children to experience what is going on in our world today so that they can develop a passion for others and a need inside themselves to help make the world a better place. As a mother, I am very proud of Nikki but I also am fearful. Fearful of letting her go... I need to trust God more. I need to trust Him to watch over her.. I need to allow Nikki to prove herself capable of being the young lady that I know her to be..
As parents, it is hard at times to trust God. To acknowledge that He is in control.. I keep wanting to control everything and I know that is not what God wants and I know that is not what I should be doing. I need to trust the fact that I have helped to raise Nikki to be a smart and thoughtful young lady.. I need to trust the youth staff that is running this trip.. I need to let go of my worries and realize I have prepared my daughter the best I could and give her to God.. into His trusting hands..

Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths....

Now I have to put action to scripture.... and do that trusting!!!! "Lord, please help me to trust you with all my heart and to fully understand that You and only You are ALWAYS in control.. amen."

8 comments:

  1. I'm sure she's going to do great! You're right though, it's so hard to relinquish that control. It's hard, but neccessary. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think one of the hardest things is to let go of the control of our kids, and then not to worry once we do let go! I'm sure this will turn out to be a great experience for her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true Kelly...we SAY we trust Him...but then we expect our OWN sought-after results, and when that doesn't happen....we doubt! YIKES! Shame on us, huh?
    I am so happy for Nikki, as I know that my son's experience working at a Baltimore shelter for 3 1/2 years was challenging, enriching, heart-wrenching at times, and VERY MUCH worth it all.
    Now my ds and dd, 12 and 13 help out at our local food pantry once a month, and that has been a blessing for all as well.
    I will keep Nikki in my prayers as she spreads her wings of service unto God's people in need!
    Don't worry Kelly, she'll be ok!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing experience for her!! can't wait to hear about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having released my oldest three into their own lives....son joining the army, one daughter due to deliver my first grandchild this week...the other daughter engaged...I know the fear. But I also know His comfort. He cares more than you...He will watch and hover in your stead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. how awesome. :) I went to south america twice for missions when i was younger and it was life changing for me to help those less fortunate. it has been with me even until today.

    she will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mission trips can have such a positive impact! My mom had her worries when I went to Belgium for a 2-week mission trip and when I went on a longer trip in the Balkans. She took the same stance as you, trusting God with her child! I'm sure it will be amazing.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin