Monday, July 27, 2009

My Sister's Keeper


I recently watched a very disturbing movie called My Sister's Keeper starring Cameron Diaz, Abigail Breslin, Alec Baldwin, Jason Patric, Sofia Vassilieva, and Joan Cusack. The acting was outstanding - I would not be surprised if this movie is nominated for an Oscar and/or Globe....

The movie is about a young girl played by Abigail Breslin who was genetically engineered to be a donor match for her sister (Sofia Vassilieva) who has leukemia.... The young girl is loved... She is part of the family.... She is happy and loves her parents, her sister, and her brother... but she no longer wants to be poked and prodded... She wants to be medically emancipated from her parents.... She wants to have control over her own body.... so she hires an attorney to sue her parents for the rights to her own body....

Her mother played by Cameron Diaz believes that the younger sister must continue to give her body over to her sister.. to save her sister's life..... Now the mother wants her younger daughter's kidney.....

What is the most disturbing about this movie is that it can happen.... it has happened... maybe not to the extreme as My Sister's Keeper... not yet anyway... I remember years ago when Anissa Ayala, a young girl had Leukemia and there were no matches for a bone marrow transplant. Her parents conceived a daughter who was a match and saved Anissa's life... With Anissa's parents it was a gamble... At that time there was not a way to predetermine a match.... Ten years later, more families are in need of bone-marrow matches and today a baby CAN be genetically preselected to save a sibling....

I can point my finger and say no way would I ever consider that... I can say that now because my two incredible daughters are happy and healthy today... but if I am going to be honest here - the answer is I just don't know what I would do... A mother will do almost anything to save the life of her child...

11 comments:

  1. I read that book few years ago and felt the same way you do. It really makes you think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen the movie, but I say an article with the Ayalas recently. It does make one think about the things we would do to save our children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad I don't have that choice to make...one child and can't have more.

    Stopping by to give a little blog ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ironic timing...my mother JUST recommended the book to me several days ago...I didn't realize there was a movie.
    Genetically engineering life sounds very disturbing to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eww. I would hate to be in that situation. I would immediately say that "playing God" is not right; but, then again, with His help we have the technology to make things like that possible. I will just settle my brian with: I am glad I am not in that position and pray that I will never be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You saw that movie? You're brave. I think I'd have to go with a box of Kleenex.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Story gives us a moral fix. Your blog is very nice. The images are very beautiful. God is Great. Best wishes.

    http://www.thedynamicnature.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. you story is a moralized story. i have read this book before. its really very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All great comments - thanks. I agree with Judy that genetically engineering life does sound disturbing but if I were put in the position... I just don't know - I would like to say I would never consider it....in the real world I could not because both of my daughters are adopted but.. I am glad I do not have to make that decision and yes Oh Sew Good - I cried like a baby and so did the entire theater...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read the book and found it very thought provoking. I'd hate to be in the mother's shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope that I am never in this situation. That said my sister had cancer and it was very scary and you would do anything you can think of to save a life. My sister is fine but I would definitely think about it if it was my child.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin