Tuesday, February 15, 2011

A Teacher Not Forgotten...


I graduated high school 28 years ago... I am 45 years old and many days I still feel like that young high school girl from years gone by.... I can remember the excitement of going to the football games... The last minute cramming for a history test... Getting kidnapped in the middle of the night by a school club... Going on my first date... My locker combination 22-18-8..... Hanging out with friends in the Quad... Riding the city bus to and from school... Making great connections with teachers...

My senior year in high school - I took a creative writing class... This teacher really connected with the class.. Not only did he encourage us to step outside our comfort zone and write from our hearts, minds, and experiences... He opened his family to us.... I remember one particular night when he threw us a party at his home... We met his beautiful wife and children... I don't think he knew what an impact he made on our lives... my life that night. He was the first adult that accepted us as equals... That encouraged us to be greater than we could possibly imagine.... and twenty-eight years later - I still remember him... and our class...

I hope that my girls will have teachers... a teacher like I did in high school.. A teacher that sees the best in you... A teacher that encourages you... I had that and 28 years later - I still feel blessed to have known him.. Thank you, Mr. Tankenson!

10 comments:

  1. I had a teacher like that. I am still friends with her to do this day. I have an award for you. Check out my "I Would Like To Thank The Academy" post. Have a great day! ~Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great teacher that his impact is still felt. You should see if he is still working, because I bet he would love a letter telling him what you told us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm a new follower. It's wonderful that you had such a great teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved your piece on your teacher and how much influence he had on you.
    I remember my 5th/6th grade teacher very well and how she related to her class and me personally.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog.
    I am a new follower of you now too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had one of those, his name was Mr. Nett. I loved that guy!! Ours too was english/writing, etc, but I had him for drama and speech. I started taking classes he offered, just because he taught them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Teachers can play such incredible roles for us, and you are so lucky that you had one like that. What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I've enjoyed your blog and have left something for you at my blog!

    http://heartfeltbalancehandmadelife.blogspot.com/2011/02/another-blog-award-thanks-bethany.html

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great teacher and I wish I could remember my locker combo. I think birthing five kids fried my brain though LOL!

    I'm following your awesome blog.

    ecwrites.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. My best teacher was Mr. Buno, I took 3 years of his technical drafting classes, made me the engineer I am today.

    Oh and I had cowl neck sweaters too, welcome to the 80's.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry, I'm a little behind in my follow backs but...Thanks for following my blog! I'm now following you back :) Hope to see you again soon! When you get a chance, I'd be tickled pink if you could follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and Subscribe to my Feed. Happy Blogging :)

    Thanks Bunches, Misty
    Misty's Thoughts Too

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin