Monday, March 2, 2009

The Love Dare Day #1

I am starting "The Love Dare" today. This is a book that was used in the movie "Fireproof". If you haven't seen the movie, I highly recommend that you do. It focuses on learning how to love your spouse the way God intended us too. You will see video clips from the movie at the bottom of my blog during my "Love Dare".
I'm not doing this dare because I am on the verge of divorce. I am doing this dare to better understand Dusty (my husband) and to practice the concept of unconditional love. I've been married for 20 years and we have never been consistently happy or consistently in love. I have recently learned that love is a decision you make. Not so much the emotion you feel. Better put, the "love" feeling you get in the beginning of a relationship only lasts maybe two years. But if you make the decision to love then it can and will last a life time.
The "The Love Dare" is for FORTY days. In the bible many of the major events lasted FORTY days. Moses was in the Mount to receive the Ten Commandments for 40 days. Jesus was tempted by Satan for 40 days, and after Jesus resurrected He spent 40 days telling His disciples about the Kingdom of God. There are many more "FORTY DAY" stories but I'm sure you get the point.
So today, my dare is: Today resolve to demonstrate patience and to say NOTHING negative to your spouse at all. If the temptation arises, choose not to say anything. It's better to hold your tongue than to say something you'll regret.
That's it. Tomorrow I will let you know how it went. Hmmm, I pretty sure sarcasm would be construed as negative.... I have my work cut out for me..

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin