Thursday, March 5, 2009

The Love Dare Day #4

Be sure to check out the movie trailer for Fireproof down below.

My love dare for yesterday's Love Dare Day #3 was along with restraining myself from voicing any negative comments, I was to buy Dusty something that says, " I was thinking of you today." Well, the buying thing I found to be easy... I take pride in my "professional" shopping abilities. I am the person who starts her Christmas shopping in the summer and Black Friday is the holiday after Thanksgiving...needless to say, I am the girl from the Mervyns' commercial saying "open open" at 5:00 am. So this challenge not so tough...
So the shopping thing I had down. It was the comment Dusty made after the shopping thing that hurt.
Dusty loves the drinks Sobe Lean. Almost every day Dusty would ask me if I had a) been to the market and b) if I bought any Sobes. I hardly ever buy Sobes because I believe they are overpriced drinks at $1.69 a bottle. This challenge took me out of my "cheap zone" and sent me to Two Albertsons and One Ralphs on the pursuit of every single Sobe Lean drink that was on the shelves. It was pretty funny loading up the carts up with bottles after bottles. My kids came with me and we had a great time. When we got home, we placed all the drinks in the garage storage area in anticipation of Dusty's return home from work. All best laid plans sometimes just don't work. After several hours of Dusty being home and still not seeing my accomplishment, I told him I had something to show him. He followed me into the garage..... When he saw what I had done his first reaction was to advise me that the pina colada drinks he did not like and to return them. I was very confused with that comment because he had bought a couple of the drinks this weekend and said how much he liked them. His second comment was "Were they on sale?" in the Dusty tone of voice that I have heard so often in the past 20 years. Basically saying I was overindulgent. Of course, my feelings were hurt and I told him so. I did not yell but I let it be known that while I tried to do something nice he couldn't be appreciative . After that comment, he realized that he was being an ass and backpedalled and said that it was great and how much he loved them...blah blah blah....That was my reaction....I slipped on this dare and turned it around and made it about me...
I need to focus that this love dare is not about changing Dusty because God can only do that. It's about changing me. I will quote from "The Love Dare". You cannot point out the many ways your spouse is selfish without admitting that you can be selfish too. That would be hypocritical. When a wife constantly complains about the time and energy she spends meeting the needs of her husband, that's a sign of selfishness. But love "does not seek its own" (1 Corinthians 13:5)
So I learned something today... That being upset was selfish because I turned it around to me. This exercise is not about pleasing me. It's about changing me.
Today's Love Dare #4 is Contact Dusty sometime during the business of the day. Have no agenda other than asking how him how he is doing and if there is anything I could do for him. Until then....

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin