Sunday, January 31, 2010

Thank You, Diane


The last time I spoke with Diane was a little over four (4) years ago.... She came over to my house to play cards. She was full of laughter and natural charm.... She told me she was going out of town for awhile - I asked her where and she told me Afghanistan.... My first reaction was Huh? - I had no idea she was in the military.... She was in the National Guard and her name was drawn - it was her turn to go..... She was nervous of course.... but she was also excited to go.... You see, Diane believed in our country.... She believed in Freedom... We hugged and I said I'll see you soon.....

About a year after she left - she came home with a broken leg... She had been in a helicopter that was hit by a sniper.... The helicopter crashed with over 25 other men and women.... Diane survived that crash because a Marine covered her body with his.... She lived.... He did not.... Diane was not the same girl that left... The laughter was gone.... I watched Diane from a distance - I could not get closer - I would if I had the opportunity - but I was close enough to see the sadness in her eyes... A hero died so that she could live.....

I heard through the grapevine that she still believes in our country.... she is still fighting the fight. When her leg was healed she headed back to Afghanistan - she had a job to finish.... She had the option to stay here where it's safe but she chose to go.... I don't know where Diane is today - I have not seen her - is she there? is she here? I have no idea - but I want to thank her next time I see her.... Because of men and women like Diane - we have our Freedom... She is my hero.... All the men and women who protect and serve our country our heroes....

The Best Commercial..



15 comments:

  1. Add my thanks for her as well! And I'll send out prayers for the family of that heroic Marine who willingly gave his life to save Diane's.

    So how did Dad & Daughters' day out go? Hope they all enjoyed their time! Maybe suggest to hubby that he take one out at a time for dinner? My daughter loves her "dates" with Dad. It's a way to slow down and really talk to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea, Mama Bear! They had a great time at Disneyland - they all came home happy and tired.
    Thanks!
    Love to you
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post! We all need reminders on how lucky we are and to thank the brave people fighting for our rights.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the commercial too. I add my thanks to Diane as well as the marine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a brave woman! I can't imagine what she has been through. She is a hero!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok I'm sitting here crying thanks to that commerical. Though every time I talk to Scott (my son who is in the army) he laughs at that commerical. Mainly because when he goes through the airport he sets off the sensors thanks to his back pack. He can be in full uniform, but he still has to show his military id and then explain that he carrys amunition in his back pack hence why the sensors go off.
    I will say a prayer of thanksgiving for your friend Diane. America needs heros like her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. War changes people and it especially changes those who are on the front lines. It should never change our support and encouragement of them unless that support and encouragement increases. :) Thanks for letting us know about your friend. I hope she reads this to know that there are many of us who share the same sentiment. Thanks Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our military personnel are such loyal, dedicated people! God bless them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We all our a debt of gratitude to those who risk their lives for our freedom!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for posting... good to be reminded! Wishing Blessings to Diane in my prayers!
    Jenn~

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanking you for sharing this story! It brought bittersweet tears to my eyes.

    -Alisa hope

    ReplyDelete
  12. my little nephew is in the navy - and I know how you feel- and what you mean - they don't return the same - but they have to know that how they do turn out is heroic, brave, and they have to know we mean thank you in the most endearing way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OOPS! I have 2 blogs - the blogspot is merely to keep the name in case Word Press was too hard to use! and Google Account keeps sending ya all to the blog I am not using when I post comments!! YIKES! ;) So I am humbly tracing my steps and offering my 'real' blog url! ;) Technical errors corrected and if you tried to find me... I am at www.seizingmyday.com Hope to see you visit one day! Jenn~

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh gosh...this sends shivers down my spine. I always had a very hands off approach to war until my brother joined the Marines. He served for 5 years and went to Iraq twice. I learned that its not all black and white. I always had an amazing respect for those who serve our country in this way, but stories like yours and like my brother's have opened me up to the book of sacrifice...and also knowing how we must think of those who are still there every day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Every time I see this video, I cry. Every time. It's something you wish you could do whenever you see a service person. Bud did a great job.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin