Monday, March 28, 2011

It's All In The Details...


I have realized that I am a detail freak when it comes to vacations, school, housework, studying, and work.... It is very rare to find me unprepared... Just this past weekend I spent over 12 hours trying to understand in detail without any hesitation real estate math for my upcoming broker's exam... Example question (and no I am not kidding - still trying to figure out how knowing this will help me in my chosen career - do you know?)
A farm, which is described as the S 1/2 of the NW 1/4 of the NE 1/4 of section 11, is listed for sale at $350 per acre. Charles made a written offer to buy the land for $6,100. The owner agreed to accept the offer, provided Charles would pay the broker's 10% commission on the offered price. How much less than the listed price did Charles pay for the property? a) $300; b) $290 c) $275; d) $250 and NO this is not fun.. But in order for me not to be completely stressed when I take my exam next month - I need to know this stuff forward and backwards and if studying everyday is going to get me there then so be it....

I am also a detail freak on vacation planning... I am not a "just go with the flow" kind of girl... I believe that "flying by the seat of your pants" vacations can leave out so much... (I'm full of idioms today aren't I?) When I go on vacations I want to see and do as much as I possibly can and still enjoy it... I don't want to rush.. I don't want to think about what to do when I get there.. I want a plan... I NEED a plan....

When I planned this year's summer vacation - I spent hours, days and weeks researching dates.. tours.. hotels... train schedules.. flights... and I have to say - that I am so excited about this summer's festivities.... Some may laugh at my over the top need for detail but so far it's worked for me.... By making detailed plans in advance - I was able to get excellent Internet rates and/or AAA rates on my hotel rooms... The hotels I chose had to have Wifi, walking distance to main sites, reasonable prices, and had to be in a safe area... Research is good - I was lucky enough to purchase 2 days of trolley passes in DC for the price of 1 day... It's an Internet special that ended in March.. Yeah me... I will blog about all my finds tomorrow.... and there are many....

To have a fun vacation far away from home... research, plan, and take advantage of the early bird special... and believe me - It's All In The Details!

9 comments:

  1. I like to plan vacations too, but partly just because that's half the fun of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you commented on my blog and that I clicked on yours! I love your posts! I completely identify with them - especially the "being a mom is hard". It's so great to hear someone else be so real and not all "light and rainbows" about being a wife and mother! I can't wait to read more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That question is completely beyond me - good for you for being able to figure it out. :)
    I'm a planner when it comes to vacations too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That question is definitely beyond me. Good for you for being able to figure it out!
    I'm a planner when it comes to vacations too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need a vacation from planning a vacation!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want my vacation planned, but I want someone else to do it for me. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. When it comes to vacations, I'm just like you. I like them planned from sunup to sundown, from day one to day last!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, that seals it. I JUST had the conversation with my sister about how she's a planner and I am not. Ironically, I'm a Real Estate agent who doesn't have a clue about the answer to that brokers test question. I hope you'll share it when you do. When I take a vacation I like to wing a lot of it (unless it's price for rooms, airfare, etc)... but you're right .. All the successful people I know are huge planners. Where does that leave me? Wishing I were more so a planner, that's where. Good luck on your test. P.S. I have a wicked step-sister who is an RE agent in Orange County. I wonder if you know her. We haven't been on speaking terms since the 90's because she's a mercenary bitch, but I do hear she's doing very well. LOL,, take care, Keri

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am the exact same way! Last year I planned a vacation with my youngest daughter, son in law, grandson and husband. My daughter didn't want to help me at first but then she got all into it. I think everyone would agree we had a great time. I find when you don't plan, you waste too much time trying to figure out what to do.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin