Monday, January 4, 2010

Perfect Is No Longer Good Enough


When I was in school the highest GPA you could achieve was a 4.0. Today, the perfect grade is no longer perfect - there other factors involved - college credit courses for higher grades - extra academic requirements to achieve a higher score... Honors classes - I'm not sure what the highest GPA is now - I think it may be 4.3? Maybe 5.0 in some schools - do you know?

When I was in elementary and junior high school - I don't remember that much homework - I really don't remember any in elementary except for the occasional book report or class project.... Today - kindergartners are getting in upwards of 1-2 hours of homework - seriously... this is crazy. Not only is there a ton of homework - the studies in my opinion are much more in depth... much more difficult.. and expectations are much more higher....

My kids have been in the private school arena and next year they will be going to public schools. My main concern is that the lack of funding in the public schools may hinder my kids.... other kids from achieving their goals... Granted I am not knowledgeable about the public school system except for what I hear in the news.. I hope that my kids will continue to prosper...

The other concern I have is the competition to get into a good college... Because of the budget cuts in California - and I am guessing everywhere - there are less students being admitted - tuition costs are higher and the competition is fierce - a 4.0 student with high SAT scores may not get into the university of their choice - there are students that have gone beyond the "perfect" score and graduated high school with a 4.3 and received high SAT scores..

The time for being a kid in school and enjoying yourself is long gone.... Not only does the child have to have excellent grades, they have to have an incredible amount of community hours, and other extra curricular activities... My oldest starts high school this fall and is already starting to stress out - her dream is to go to a University in a different state to experience the whole "college life" and I support that - but she is going to have to go beyond the norm..... and reach for beyond perfect..... it's tough being a kid today...


5 comments:

  1. I hope it encourages you as much as it encourages me to know that God can make a way where there is no way. He's God after all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is much tougher for kids today. Expectations are so high. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly,

    Well said as a parent of a Junior in High School I hear your pain. Not only are school pushing for more Honors and Advanced Placement courses along with college courses, do students really get the whole high school experience anymore without feeling all this extra pressure to be better than the average student any longer?

    Here is hoping that God will have His hand in your daughter's college plans and open any doors she will need.

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's true. Grades are nowhere near enough anymore. It's so competitive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter is a junior and the competition around her is fierce.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin