Monday, October 10, 2011

A Day In My Teenage Daughter's Life


A Typical School Day For My High School Sophomore

6:10 AM - I wake up her up - by turning her light on and being very annoying... I have been known to break out into song...

6:15 AM - Get up... Get up...

6:20 AM - Me yelling - "Are you up?" Her mumbling "Yeah..."

6:30 AM - Me yelling again... "Are you up?" Her: "What? I can't hear you.... What?" Me: "Are you up?" Her "Now I am..."

7:10 AM - Eat a quick breakfast prepared by my loving hands... cereal, fruit, toast, donuts (shh), waffles, or any other quick nutritious meal...

7:30 AM - Out the door. In the car - I double check and triple check that she has everything - purse, huge tennis bag, binder, book, and tote...

7:40 AM - Arrive at school - watch in awe as she juggles all her junk

8:00 AM - 2:15 PM - Normal school - Chemistry - Advanced Algebra - Spanish 2nd year - and her other required courses..

2:15 PM - 4:20 PM - tennis if there isn't a match

2:15 PM - 6:30 PM - tennis if there is a match...

6:40 PM - Home - dinner

7:00 PM - 11:00 - homework... It would be shorter time if she stayed on task but her mind wonders to You Tube - Desperate Housewives on her IPod - netflix. Now she turns in her cell and IPod to me before homework... but she still manages to daydream...

If she is lucky - She may have time to go to her church youth group on non-game days... I try to make sure that she has some fun on the weekends - I don't want her to completely burn out.. Last Friday night she went to Knott "Scary" Farm with friends - the weekend before Homecoming dance... She needs "down" time... and "fun" time...



To get into a four (4) year university - it's much tougher today than it was even four (4) years ago... Over a 4.0 average is expected by many... Minimum of 3 years of advanced math preferred 4.. Minimum of 2 years of a foreign language - preferred 4, Minimum of 2 years of a lab science such as biology and chemistry - preferred 3 and highly preferred classes to be Advanced Placement (AP). Must have a minimum of three (3) AP classes during high school.. AP English is definitely expected.... The competition is fierce for these classes.. For my kid to qualify for the class next year - She must maintain a 95% or higher both semesters in English AND write an essay AND complete an application and interview... then the English department reviews it.. In addition to the class requirements - SAT scores must be outstanding... Must be involved in extra curricular activities - not just a sport... She is also in a few community service clubs.. She will be going down to Mexico soon to volunteer at an orphanage...

Expectations For Teens Are Just Crazy Nowadays!

14 comments:

  1. Your daughter is gorgeous and sounds VERY well rounded. Way to go Mom!

    My daughter is a freshman this year, so we're already prepping for college and it's INSANE the expectations that are in front of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool post. I don't know how teens these days can keep it all straight if they are doing EVERYTHING! That's just nuts! I do think colleges expect too much from them. They need to have a life, too! It looks like your daughter is happy and balanced! Thanks for stopping by earlier!

    http://fivefeetoffun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you, things are much more progressive for our kids today than ever before, as I teach my 12 year old daughter pre-algebra. Makes me wonder what she'll have by the time she reaches high school?

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm, it would seem the stress is growing! AND right now, even after the graduate college there are few jobs to be found. One of my sons has been looking for a job for a year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for her for doing so much (and still continue without complaints -- I'm sure there are some!;)). It is more difficult than when I went to high school, that is for sure! But the expectations and the competitiveness of other students make it difficult to NOT do all these activities in addition to maintaining good grades. So... it looks like younger sister ended up staying home? I didn't get to comment when i read your dilemma about little sister wanting to go as well to Knott Scary Farms. She will have her turn soon... until then, I think big sis should have her time alone with her friends!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your daughter is beautiful.
    I hear you about expectations. My daughters are in year 11. I think that would be the equivalent to your Sophomores. We are already having intense discussions as to the right exams to take to get into the best universities for them, and what extra things they should be doing to make them stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can so relate to all of this since I have three sons, however, my youngest, now a Senior is at a military school in New Mexico. He chose to go there because he was tired of all the competition and other stuff going on in our local high school and wants a career in the Army. Our year in Belize, Central America, when my sons were 16,14 and 10, was the best thing we ever did. Taking them out of the high school for a year, opened their eyes to life outside suburbia, and I think helped them with their college essays to get into Universities later on. Good luck to your daughter. It looks like she's well on her way to being successful. I feel sorry for young kids today, but you sound like a great mom who tries to keep balance in her life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your daughter is beatiful and crazy busy! I think it's unreal that colleges expect MORE than a 4.0, seriously, what's better than perfect?! good luck to her and to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just did the whole college admission thing with my son last spring. Not as intense as your daughter's but we jumped through a few hoops. Crazy business, these days.
    Wanted to let you know that I have awarded you with the Versatile Blogger Award. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. She is just gorgeous. I'm tired just reading all that goes on in a day, I'm so proud she manages to multitask and I'm sure you do too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to know you're there to sort of help her out balance everything before your beautiful daughter gets burned out. Having a teenager myself, I know how stressful it could be for them. May the Lord protect our children and always guide them with His wisdom and gift of discernment. God bless you sister.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a freshman in college and one that is a senior this year, and you are so right schools expect so much more from kids than they used to. Your daughter is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Kelly, Thanks for visiting my blog. Please come back anytime... I am enjoying yours. I'm so glad those years of raising kids are LONG gone for me. In fact, I have a granddaughter (who would remind your of your daughter) who is a Senior in high school this year. BayLee is a gorgeous blonde --and so so so so busy... Don't know where the energy comes from ... (I'd love some of it!!!!)

    Thanks again --and please come back again.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have 2 teens in college, a freshman and a junior, and yes, they're perpetually busy. So much going on every day I wonder how they manage.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin