Monday, August 9, 2010

My Calvin Kleins....... Your Something Else


When I was in the 10th grade designer jeans were the thing to wear.... My parents refused to spend $50 on a pair jeans just because the labels read Calvin Klein, Jordache, or Sassoon.... So we made a deal - they would pay half and I would pay half with the money I earned from babysitting...

Another big thing when I was in school was the "preppy" look or the "punk" look - Or how about Topsiders..... I had them in brown, tan, and green... Dolphin shorts were quickly leaving the arena of good taste... thank goodness.. Looking back on pictures of me and my friends - wearing our blue/white or our red/white dolphin shorts.... it makes me laugh - what were we thinking??

I miss the styles of the 80's....no, not really.... But I think the 80's was the generation where fashion was king - the music was the best ( I still love 80's music - think - The Police...., The Stones.., Michael Jackson.. The Thompson Twins... ABC... Billy Idol) It was a fun generation and I was happy to be right in the middle of it....

This weekend we went shoe shopping for back to school for my girls... The girls are at the age where they notice what others are wearing... they know what brands are popular.. and now it is vitally important to fit in.. (brings back memories of my Calvin Kleins) The teenage years are tough enough without being totally different.... So here we were at HSS (Huntington Surf Shop) where they have the latest in Huntington Beach, California teen wear.... The girls were picking out their TOMS Shoes and their Rainbows..... and my husband was trying to convince them they that he could take them to Payless and get the exact same shoes.... I could see him start to get annoyed at the high cost of shoes until...... I reminded him that when he was in high school ALL he would wear was Adidas.... (thanks mom in-law for that little tidbit)..... After that - he got it..... High school is high school... fashion is fashion - regardless of what generation you live in......

22 comments:

  1. ugh that's so true.
    At least with Tom's Shoes you are also helping give a pair of shoes to someone in need. That's pretty neat.

    The big fads when I was younger were Starter Jackets and Adidas Jackets... if you didn't have one or the other you might as well not show up at school.

    I'm your newest follower! I found you through someone I found on FMBT and loved the name of your blog and just had to stop by. I don't have kids, but I still find myself saying "I've become my mother!"

    come visit!
    fromlazytolady.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true. When my teen wanted Juicy Couture I reminded myself how much I loved my Calvin's.

    Thanks for the follow, I am following you back. Have a wonderful week!

    The Road to Here

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am now following you thanks to Follow Me Back Tuesday!It would be nice if you could share the love back on my blog !
    Also if you need any help tweaking your blog or easy HTML tips, you know where to come! Plus today we have great SEO tips, so check it out! Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a little older than you so I suffered through the disco era. Ugh... But by the time I was in college we were wearing loafers and izods (layered) so it was much better. Loved the music of the early eighties too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Kelly,
    I'm following back from FMBT. Thanks for linking up with us. Have a great week
    -Staycee
    www.sjunkie.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for following. I am your latest follower!

    www.letsjustgiveitaway.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Check out Brooke back in the day! I remember those designer jeans days. I had a pair of Gloria Vanderbilt. Funny. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice blog! I’m following you from Follow Me Back Tuesday. Please follow me back on my blog “Inspire!”

    Ron

    http://inspiredbyron.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE the name of your blog. Caught my eye right away. LOL.
    I am your newest follower.
    I look forward to reading more of your blog, and hope you have a terrific Tuesday!
    ~Shanna
    http://mommyofoneandcounting.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stopping by from FMBT. I followed you on GFC and Networked Blogs!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think we all evenutally become our mothers or some type of her anyway. Just blogging around this morning, and found your blog. The pictures are great. I laughed at the one with the dog with glasses on. Did you see this months Readers digest and the pug surfing. At least you put a smile on my face for the rest of the day. Thank you for letting me visit.
    Susan
    http://amazingcouponanddiscountdeals.blogspot.com
    http://joininandgogreen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I SO relate..my oldest kids are teens now and labels are oh so important..I have to remind their Dad that we used to care about all of that too!!

    Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My sons were never into the name brand clothes, thank goodness! But I do remember wanting a silk jacket in high school (late 70's) and mom wouldn't buy it for me. I saved up enough money to get it and wore that thing almost every day. I still remember it, baby blue with white stripes. Fond memories...

    ReplyDelete
  14. So true. Have you noticed the Madonna-ish style coming back in. Just what the world needed!!

    I agree with you that the 80's were the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello! I am a new reader. Please follow me back at The Nutritionist Reviews and Giveaways: http://couponclippingnutritionist.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was never much of a "label" kid. I did, of course, HAVE to have a hypercolor shirt though! Remember those??

    Love the look of your blog! Off to read more! Following from FMBT! Come by and follow back?

    Amy @ rendermemama.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Following from Follow Me Back Tuesday. Please stop in and do the same for me:
    http://momtobedby8.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. When you mention those 80's fashions, I get so nostalgic (and then feel slightly nauseous at the same time.) lol

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, my hair was my piece de resistance! Big 80s hair. To this day, if that came back, I would be so in style!

    I'm on a blog hop and this post caught my eye. I'm now a follower.

    Take care,

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello, I'm new follower from FMBT! Oh, how I wanted designer jeans when I was young...Now that I'm a grown up, I just don't care anymore. As long as I can breathe while wearing them, I'm happy!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin