Friday, November 5, 2010

The Check Is In The Mail...


I have been self employed since 1997 - I started my home mortgage loan processing business as a way to stay home with the kids and also earn a little extra for the fun adventures we as a family like to do.. My business ended up being a God send when my husband lost his job last Spring - thankfully he is back to the world of the employed...

As a self employed person... my reputation is very important... I strive to always provide the best that I can give.... One thing I learned very early on is that what I do or don't do can make or break a loan. My knowledge... persistence... integrity is relied upon when working under constant deadlines... If I don't do my job - No one makes money... And when a loan closes - some of my clients are foaming at the mouth to get their check from the bank... and if it's not there quick enough - I am informed and asked to help them out... Which I gladly do... especially for the fact that if they do not get their check.... I don't get my check... makes sense right???

Recently I have two clients that are not paying me.... The excuses I get are so transparent that I would laugh if I wasn't so ticked off.... The money I get paid doesn't even come out of their pocket - it is billed into the final fees- the borrower pays.... So basically the client is stealing my money.... I have a very hard time understanding how people can operate like this.. I could never hold on to someones money like that...

The excuses I have heard range from: "The bank mailed the check to the wrong address." ( I do online pay and that has NEVER happened to me). "The address on the check can't be seen through the window on the envelope." (huh, really?).. "I mailed it two weeks ago.. really - you didn't get it?" "The postman in my building lost all the outgoing mail that day."

I have offered to run by their office to pick up the check and that's when I almost get the truth... Almost... I wonder whatever happened to good character? Because when it comes to money for some people good character has left the building.... I find that sad, don't you?

Definition of Good Character

Watch your thoughts, for they become words.
Watch your words, for they become actions.
Watch your actions, for they become habits.
Watch your habits, for they become character.
Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny
Character is who we are when no one is looking.

5 comments:

  1. I ran a private practice for 11 years and dealt with many who thought that services should be free. I grew weary of chasing people for cash, so I finally closed the doors. I'm not suggesting that as a viable option for you, but it was certainly good for me!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. It's also called Integrity - something alot of people in this world don't have alot of anymore. It is becoming rather sacred I think.

    I sure hope you get your money. That is really frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I truly don't understand some people! I hope you get your money soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The lack of scruples is apalling!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin